Applying for A Grant
We’re here to help you help!
The Sunset Foundation exists to support local charities with great ideas for improving our community. We look for creative projects that build on strengths and meet community needs.
We offer grants in the following areas of interest:
Not sure if your organization is eligible? Ask us! We provide leadership in the community by helping organizations shape and fund innovative projects that enrich all our lives.
Click here to see a list of all our grants to date
Our Grants Program focuses on building community capacity in our region. We look for creative projects that build on existing strengths and competencies and meet community needs.
The Sunset Foundation supports registered charities (and partnerships involving at least one registered charity), with grants in the following areas of interest:
– Children & Youth
– Family & Community
– Health & Physical Activity
– Social Services
– Preservation of the Environment
– Arts & Culture
Organizations seeking funding must demonstrate fiscal responsibility, professional management, and commitment to our region.
Grants are awarded for new and innovative projects, usually to be completed within one year. Multi- year funding is possible and such grants are subject to periodic review.
The Foundation typically does NOT award grants for the following:
– to support ongoing operating costs
– in response to annual fund raising
– to cover debts
– to retire debt
– to create endowment funds
– for sectarian, religious or political organizations
– to individuals
– for conferences
– for programs and services outside of the Greater Grand Bend area
Application Deadline: September 30
Tips for Completing the Application
- Begin by discussing your project with the Executive Director of SCF. Call 519-238-2190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your organization is not a registered charity, ensure that you are partnering with an organization that is. You will need to enclose a partner agreement with your application to be eligible.
- In describing your organization, consider the following questions:
- What is your mission and vision?
- Who do you serve?
- What staff do you have and what are their qualifications?
- Who is on your Board of Directors?
Include your most recent audited financial statements and Annual Report, if available.
- In describing your project, consider the following questions:
- What is the outcome you are expecting?
- How will it benefit the region?
- What need does the project meet?
- How is your project innovative?
- What public support is there for your project?
- How many people will be affected by your project?
- Are you working with other organizations that address similar issues?
- How will your project be evaluated?
- In developing your project budget, consider the following questions:
- What expenses are specific to this project?
- By what date are the funds needed?
- What other funding sources do you have or are you pursuing?
- How will you ensure the project is sustainable when the funding is complete?
- Who in your organization is responsible for the project and what qualifications do they have?
The Grant Review Process
- Be sure to submit your application by September 30. Late submissions will not be considered.
- Complete the application (copy and paste the form, or re-type the questions, if you prefer) and attach any supporting documentation. Email your completed application to sunsetcommunityfoundation@gmail. com. If you are submitting your application in hard copy, please provide two copies.
- Recommendations for grants are presented to the Board of Directors of the Sunset Community Foundation for approval.
- You will be advised by letter of the Board’s decision by the end of November. The letter will outline the terms and conditions of any grant.
- You will be expected to file a final report on your project by the end of the year in which you received the grant.
Click here for the application form.
When we fund a project, we like to know what happened as a result. It helps us refine our granting process and lets us talk to our donors about the impact we are having in our community.
It may also help us when we come to consider another grant application from your organization.
In your project evaluation, please answer the following questions:
- Was the project a success? How do you know?
- How many people were affected by the project? In what geographic areas?
- How was your grant expended?
- What plans do you have to sustain this activity?
- Why was the Foundation support helpful to your organization?
Please send photos, videos or other materials if available.